Shamar ve Zachor
Lighting the Sabbath Lights
Watercolor Blessings by Lyssa Harvey
“We create and invite more light by lighting the Sabbath candles”
In Genesis we read first that there was light created before darkness.
Lighting the Sabbath Candles is an intimate and holy act. It signifies light and joy and being aware of good and hope in each week. By lighting the Sabbath Candles we create and invite more light into our homes and life.
The Act of Lighting the Candles:
- Imitates God by creating Light
- Bringing Light into your life
- Shining your Light out towards others
- Bringing in the Blessings of the Sabbath
- Authentic and Intentional Act of Love
- A Ritual remembered by your children’s children
- Connecting with universal Light of Sabbath to continue to kindle the Lights of Zion.